Thursday, April 14, 2011
Module 11
Question: The chapter mentioned repeatedly that schools are very different organizations now than in the past, and instructional leaders need different training to prepare for upcoming circumstances. The text also said leaders need to be specifically taught for this new leadership style. Do you feel like existing leaders that underwent training programs years ago will be prepared for "strategic leadership" by their experience alone? Question: A section of the text discusses the "great demand for leaders, and new leaders, in education." It was estimated that 10,000-20,000 new administrative positions open each year. Do you think that is likely to continue in the face of economic difficulties, or will we see more administrative job cuts? Concern: The chapter stated that current administrative pay salaries are based on enrollment size, level of responsibility, housing prices in the community, and geographic region, but that pay should be based on the academic performance of the campus. I am not sure if merit-based pay is appropriate for school leaders, with the obvious concern that the best teachers and leaders would avoid low-performing schools (where they are most needed) because they lose pay, or even their job, due to low test scores. Texas was listed as an example of where merit based pay is becoming more popular. Do you think we will see an increase in this with higher academic accountability, and do you think it is a good idea? Concern: The "ambitious, activist, fast-track leadership candidate" was discussed quite a bit in this chapter. The text even mentioned certification routes that allowed people to become administrators even though they had never taught before. I know that the majority of the students in this class, including myself, are young people without a lot of teaching experience. Do you think it is becoming a trend for more young people to seek this "fast-track" leadership route, and are you concerned that they are trying to enter administration without the experience to be prepared for it?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Do you feel like existing leaders that underwent training programs years ago will be prepared for "strategic leadership" by their experience alone?
ReplyDeleteMy answer to that is "it depends." If the veteran administrator has kept up to date through professional development and has continued to learn, then that person will be as prepared as someone coming right out of a university program. Learning is learning, however it takes place.
For those principals out in rural areas or those who hide comfortably on a campus in an urban or suburban area, and have not been to a conference or seminar or read a journal in ages--then they are becoming increasing ineffective and really need to retire!
Do you think that new administrative positions are likely to continue in the face of economic difficulties, or will we see more administrative job cuts?
ReplyDeleteIn the short run, there will be administrative cuts, especially assistant principals and those at the elementary level. In a few years, districts will be hiring again. When I attend superintendent meetings at Region 9, so many of them are at retirement age. As the job of the principal gets harder, we'll see more educators leaving that position for retirement or something "easier." If you monitor texasisd, you'll see that there are over 50 open superintendencies, and 35 have recently turned over. This is an opportunity for principals to move up, and that leaves a vacancy.
I am not a proponent of merit pay in education. We're not producing widgets! The merit pay idea, in my mind, stems from the public notion that teachers aren't already doing an almost impossible job, and a little extra money will make them work harder. That is pure foolishness! It also seems a little demeaning. I remember the career ladder of a couple of decades ago, and it was a disaster. Merit pay does not encourage collegiality!
ReplyDeleteConcerning fast-track leadership candidates without a lot of teaching experience: There is a movement toward teachers and principals being two different career goals and paths (sort of like nurses and doctors). I think it is important to have some classroom experience; however, I only had 3 years of teaching before I took my first administrative position. I am more suited to administering an organization than teaching children, and I recognized that. I learned some things the hard way, and I made some pretty atrocious mistakes--but I'm not sure teaching really prepares you for administration anyway, except for instructional expertise and credibility with your teachers.
ReplyDelete