Wow! I was impressed with your speech. You were very well organized and professional. I like how you gave out numbers and everything! Your team will be very lucky to have a leader like you! Nice work!
I like your idea of writing grants for shortfalls in some of the programs. I didn't think of that.
I'm wondering if you might consider cutting teacher pay in order to keep other teachers on board instead of telling the teachers that they may not have a job. Would there be a way to cut salaries minimally and keep others on board?
Cheryl, I understand. I went with a scenario in which I could not promise my teachers that they would not be let go. There are many districts that are losing 35% of what was their budget for last year, sometimes you cannot promise that you can save everyone's job. I would not consider cutting pay, I feel it would hurt staff morale more than lay offs. I would let go the newest staff to the district, maybe one or two others if they do not fit with the school, and pay the staff that stay the same. If I keep my current pay scale I will be in a better position to recruit quality staff when the economy stabilizes.
It's a tough time right now, and I think any principal who is faced with this mess is in a tough spot. I'm glad we're getting to look at the position in an educational setting rather than actually being "in it". Hopefully the up-trends will continue and by the time we're in that position it won't be this bad.
Wow! I was impressed with your speech. You were very well organized and professional. I like how you gave out numbers and everything! Your team will be very lucky to have a leader like you! Nice work!
ReplyDeleteI like your idea of writing grants for shortfalls in some of the programs. I didn't think of that.
ReplyDeleteI'm wondering if you might consider cutting teacher pay in order to keep other teachers on board instead of telling the teachers that they may not have a job. Would there be a way to cut salaries minimally and keep others on board?
My rating: 11
ReplyDeleteI would be very nervous - that's what got me the most.
Cheryl,
ReplyDeleteI understand. I went with a scenario in which I could not promise my teachers that they would not be let go. There are many districts that are losing 35% of what was their budget for last year, sometimes you cannot promise that you can save everyone's job. I would not consider cutting pay, I feel it would hurt staff morale more than lay offs. I would let go the newest staff to the district, maybe one or two others if they do not fit with the school, and pay the staff that stay the same. If I keep my current pay scale I will be in a better position to recruit quality staff when the economy stabilizes.
It's a tough time right now, and I think any principal who is faced with this mess is in a tough spot. I'm glad we're getting to look at the position in an educational setting rather than actually being "in it". Hopefully the up-trends will continue and by the time we're in that position it won't be this bad.
ReplyDelete