Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Getting to Know You

For the first blog posting, please write an introduction to yourself so that we will get to know the class members better.  Include whatever you wish--district, job, family, interests, goals, what you hope to get from the class, why you aspire to be an administrator, etc.  The length is up to you.  In order to keep the "thread" together, please reply to this posting instead of beginning a new post.

Since I never ask my students to do anything that I won't do, I'll go first!

My name is Jane Owen, and I have been at MSU for 7 years.  I received my bachelor's degree in English Education from the University of Wyoming, my master's in Educational Development and Management from New Mexico State, and my doctorate in Educational Administration from the University of Texas - Austin.  Most of my career has been spent in public education at the high school or district level:  English teacher, high school assistant principal and principal, director of student support, and assistant superintendent.  I have worked in Colorado, New Mexico, and Bastrop and McKinney, Texas.  I was an intern at the Texas Education Agency while I was getting my doctorate.

I have enjoyed my career in education at every level at which I have worked.  The high school principalship was probably the most challenging, but also one of the most rewarding.  I love teaching at Midwestern and consider it an honor to be able to help prepare the next generation of administrators.

My husband of 43 years, Jim, is a professor of economics in the Dillard College of Business.  We have two children and five grandchildren.  I love to garden, travel, read, and write--I am the author of two textbooks and one novel. 

6 comments:

  1. Hello everyone! My name is Mika Meador and I live in Archer City with my two children, Kole and Kaiden. I graduated from MSU's teaching program last December and this is my first year teaching. I also enjoy reading and writing, as well as art and remodeling my new home. I'm looking forward to the Politics class and wish everyone luck with the semester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, my name is Willis Norton. I am currently working on my both my teacher certificate and M.Ed. here at MSU. I enjoy the social sciences, and as an undergraduate I double majored in history and psychology. I am taking this class as an elective due to my interest in politics, public relations, and my desire to be a leader.
    My father was in the Air Force and as a result I was born in England, and lived in California, Illinois, North Carolina, Arizona, Oklahoma, and Texas. My favorite activities include; working out, reading, cooking, and sometimes playing the guitar. I also enjoy working on vehicles, though I tend to do so more out of necessity than for pure pleasure. I look forward to meeting those of you who are able to make it to our class meeting tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!
    I am Danielle Block. I am married to a wonderful man named Dustin. We have one son named Kayman. In 2009 I graduated from MSU, and I am currently working at Scotland Park Elementary as a kindergarten teacher. My passion is to get my doctorate of Educational Leadership and become a professor. I feel I could make a difference in the lives of college students. If you have any other questions do not hesitate to ask!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey guys,
    My name is Kyle Davenport. I received my B.A. in History with a minor in Accounting from MSU in 2004, and I am working towards my Masters in Educational Leadership. I am currently working at Wichita Christian School, where I am the Athletic Director and head football, boys basketball and track coach. I also teach U.S. History, Government, and Economics. I enjoy spending time with my lovely wife and two beautiful daughters. My goal is become a principal/assistant principal because I feel I can motivate not only students but also teachers to bring out the best in their students.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am Cheryl Bailey. My experience as a teacher has been developed over the years through teaching middle school English. I am a single mother of a 7-year-old girl named Sidney. She is the light of my life. I am addicted to reading and I have an insatiable appetite for knowledge about how the world ticks and how it came to be. I realize that I have a responsibility for helping to shape the future and I don't intend to sit on the sidelines while someone else decides the future of my daughter and myself. I am driven to be the very best I can be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello!! I am Elizabeth Trigg. I am working towards my masters degree in Educational Leadership. I am certified in Early Childhood through 4th grade. I am currently employed through WFISD as an all level substitute and a tutor for Kindergarten at Scottland Park Elementary. I absolutely love working with children and watching them become successful is an amazing feeling! I am also the head cheerleading coach for Midwestern. This is my first year coaching. Some of the things I love to do include being outdoors, reading, and traveling!

    ReplyDelete